Sunday, September 8, 2013

The rise and fall of my learning.


There aremoments in our life when we have to face change. All type of change and we may never turn back to our usual habits. Some times this change is radical, revolutionary, but more often it is so subtle we can never figure it out when it happens.
Probably the first biggest achievement in a human life is the learning of words. I now can not imagine what could memory look like without words. How did we even thinking or how decisions were reach. In what follows I will tell you the chronologically story of my learning, the successes and failures:

-Elementary-school: I was so eager to go to school because my sister was going to school too. I wanted to see what they are doing there. I never care for the grades I obtained the first years of school. There was a local push to learn but no really want of learning. We just did what we were told.
-Secondary-school: It was the time that I perfected learning. The time for my first teaching experiments and my first competition wins. Because of my relocation, this period it was very hard time for me. I had to adapt to the new colleagues and teachers, and this is never easy. I think my parents did not really realize the support a child needs when changing the place he lives in. This was the first major change in my life, uncontrollable but I did not think so much about it back then. Now later I realize that it is nice to be able to have a stable life where you do not have to move each 4 years, just to be able to learn. I could have made better friends and also one thing: I would not have to get a new girlfriend every time I had to move. I saw people that never move to other places. They were better of then than me being able to negotiate local resources.
-High-School: Radical change for me in everything. For the first time I left the family to be on my own in student dormitories. There I had to cope with a more controlled way of life, where some times you just did not like it. I was learning physics at that time more then 4 hour per day, added with the normal activities like homeworks and attending other classes. It was my first pull for learning that went well beyond graduation. The new environment did not bring a lot of good thing because of myself being different than others. I never experience such a completely segregation and a feeling of not belonging to the place as back then. This was in a sens associated with the fact that the school was so small that student mobbing was unavoidable, and some students just took the heat every time. This are my strongest of memories, may greatest fails and hardest tasks. I well remember setting up my first goal. Planing the first time my learning so that I will achieve my goal. For a couple of mounts I would have sleep in average 4 hours a day and learn as much of 8 hour together with attending school and other regular scheduled tasks. I was hell. Back than learning had to happen. I have reach the goal but learning has lost the pleasure and the fluidity it always had.
-Student years + master: During this period my push learning got to pull. This type of learning changes in the sense that there is more a something other need you to learn than you are willing to learn. I had to deal with very abstract motion fast and synthesize the materials fast. In a sense I love it because it was the first time the pull concentrated on the things important to me. At that time: physics. Even with the pull and me learning all the time I was insecure if enough learning happened. Walking the steps of the university I was looking at the multitude of students doing the same. But as I stop thinking, I realize that this was it. This was the place were a pass or a fail mattered, and it will affect my future and my destiny.
-Post graduation life: I say life because prior graduation there was no life. Life was learning. After graduation I found a PhD program with scholarship and, for the first time in my life I was payed good money to do what I loved best: to study physics. In fact I was so happy and excited about my new way of life that I enrolled in local voluntary activity to try to help others. I wanted my happiness to be other people happiness, or reason to be happy. But out there dealing with a new community in another country I had to deal with grater discrimination policy. I had to learn the hard way that it is not enough to love some one to make them love you. It was then when the new push for learning begin. After a year of PhD I realize that physics was not everything, learing itself was the price. By the end of fourth year I had develop an universal approach to learning that was inspired by my aerobic class. Just go with the learning. Feel the learning, enjoy it, share it and never be afraid of failing. Do not let yourself be stuck on some subject. Explore new domains, get back on things to review when necessary but over all make it a dynamic and interactive process. My love for learning was not enough to finish the PhD, never the less I feel more prepare to fail than ever, and to learn.
-Present: While future remains unknown I wish you a nice learning experience and I want to close with Gandhi:
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. ”

No comments: