Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The hardest thing I ever did


I was about 10 year old when I finished solving my first mathematic problem a book with more then 300 problems. It was not any ordinary one, my father use to pick up random problems from it and make jokes about because I was not able to solve them. It turn I turn them to my class teacher, and he could not solve them either. A strange way I had indeed of dealing with problem back then.
All this went on until one day of school holiday. That day I took the book and sit down at the table with it. By the end of the third day I solved the last exercise.
Until now I still think this was my greats achievement, grown up people could not solve some of the problems, I knew I was impossible to solve them. For me what had happened was a miracle. This is one of my first life lesson meaning that even the weakest ones, if the right moment comes cold do the impossible.
After this, I participated in a lot of competitions as pupil, some times win and some times lose. Finlay I followed physics because I believe that on day I will make a difference. With this in mind I finish Physics in Timisoare and got a Master degree in crystal growth. It was hard work, and there were not many happy moments. Thus, little time I could have for free thinking. When I did have some free time, I thought about building semiconductor wire solar cell, that could save humanity from the energy problem.
After master I was accepted in Germany, a state of the art research institute to do a PhD. I thought back then that things can not be any better for me and only thought of how can I share my luck and think of how I can help other people. So in parallel of doing my research I try to do some voluntary. At first I thought that any organization should accept me and have some work for me. But, was not so. My language skills in German were not so good, in fact I could not say but understood almost every thing. I did not give up and little by little I start learning German as fast as my free time allowed, and still kept looking for a voluntary activity. I finally got enrolled in The Red Cross Organization and started my collaboration with people dedicated and full of love and joy. I must confess that the work was not easy, it required hope, it required strength ( mentally and physically ), it required sacrifice and a lot of love.
Loud parties were a lot of bear is drunk are not to my taste. How could I party when it is so much good to do in this world. But by the end of a hard day of work, I will stay and sing a song or two with people belonging to the team and show so much dedication.

The further I step in the world of science the further my ideas for helping others grew. I imagine building up cities of ice at poles, vacuum travailing trains where a membrane will build the vacuum and microelectronic devices that capture solar energy and convert carbon dioxide and water to sugar. Deep in the knowledge I dived learning from books, on-line lectures and articles. The more that I knew more that I was aware that I knew nothing. I just hope that one day this knowledge will be so insignificant that a miracle will happen, as it happen long ago with a poor little boy of 10.

No comments: